Monday, February 13, 2012

tax time

Dear Oregon Tax Department,

Can I file a complaint with my tax return?

This is ridiculous. I have always claimed 0 exemptions, so that I have never had to write a check to pay taxes at the end of the year. For some reason, this is the first time I have had to do so. Perhaps, I figured something wrong somehow? Perhaps you could do me a favor and check? Last year, the state sent me an extra check for a couple hundred dollars for some error or another – and I didn’t even hardly work last year, much less have taxes to pay!

And why should I have to pay $2200 for state taxes anyway? Though it probably doesn't sound like a lot to most people, I only made $28,000. On that salary, I am grateful when lightbulbs burn out because it helps save on the electric bill. Let’s say I made double my salary, $56,000. Within such a dreamscape, the same rate of taxation would cost me $4400. That wouldn’t seem all that bad. Heck, it would leave me less room to complain that the federal government also digs in pretty deep. At least, the federal government can withhold enough to keep from pinching me harder in the end. But when I only make $28,000, $2200 is a lot of *&^%ing money! That’s at least half a year worth of rent. Could you at least send me a picture of the person I am helping to house by contributing such a large amount?

OK, that’s the end of my complaint. But it really makes me wonder if you are trying to get people to leave the state? Do you have a problem with overpopulation, or something? Because I am pretty sure with one more year like this, I will be more than happy to start looking elsewhere. Thank you and good luck with your filing duties.

Signed,
taxpayer yoshida

No comments:

Post a Comment